Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Chick that almost got away......

I recently rediscovered my box of old 45's and was happy to find a few from back when I was just a grade schooler, probably about 45 years ago, in fact. The first one I had to relive was this one by an otherwise unknown to me duo of "Lee and Paul". I vividly recall both sides of this beauty, the bizarre and fun Easter novelty song, "The Chick" and the pseudo polka pop rock hip-swinging "Valentina, My Valentina". It's not too obvious from the record itself but oddly enough it appears that the novelty tune is the "A" side, if you go in order of the reference numbers on the label. This well worn mini-vinyl was a part of some stack of dated 45's my mother bought for me one birthday or Christmas and I certainly got her money's worth out of them. Wish I still had them all but there's a few that didn't get away over the years like this one that I think you will get a kick out of. I tried to do a little research on Lee and Paul who, as noted on the song credits, are primarily song writers, Paul Vance and Lee Pockriss. They cowrote a number of successful songs including another novelty tune, Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini, and Tracy (Cuff Links) among quite a few others that seem to add up to a credible career. Don't think this record here was much of a hit. But if I ever make a movie I will definitely find some way to work Valentina into one of the happy-go-lucky scenes where I walk along the Riviera with some bikini babes in the bright sunshine followed by a carefree parade of vacationers and lazy fishermen as we wind our way between beach blankets and colorful umbrellas. As you can see, the song is simply inspirational, see for yourself...

Chick

Lee and Paul - The Chick - 1959 -
Columbia #4-41337 (ZSP 45738) Side A

Lee and Paul - Valentina, My Valentina - 1959 -
Columbia #4-41337 (ZSP 45739) Side B

No comments: